April 16th, 2012.
Categories: All, Baked, Bread, Pizza and Donuts
Well, the original recipe calls this roll a “30 minute rolls“, which I think it was not quite true. The original recipe asks to proof the yeast for 15 min, mix a few min then shape into balls, place in pan and let prove for 10 min, and then bake at 10 min. Even if mixing and rolling into balls require very little time (I actually took 15 min to do both), simple maths 15+10+10 would be already 35 min. Okay, I am picky, I know…
But whatever it is, this recipe is still great, because… it really does reduce the time by a great deal. I never know we can have fresh bread, in just 40 min (or slightly more). And the best thing is, it does not compromise the taste and texture of the bread. The rolls turned out to be very soft and yummy, a little more dense but that’s how a typical dinner roll is anyway!
|From My Bakery|
Look at the pic above, from top to bottom is the rolls right after shaping, after 10 min, and after baked. It is very simple to make, even if you are new in this, you can certainly manage. My version of recipe below is already adapted to Malaysia weather (more humid), to be used with bread machine, and uses instant yeast. If you do not have instant yeast (i.e. only regular yeast), do hop over to the original recipe for instruction.
40 MINUTE ROLLS RECIPE
1 cup + 1 TBSP warm water
1/3 vegetable or olive oil
1 TBSP + 1 tsp instant yeast
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cup high protein flour
1. Put all the wet ingredients (water, oil, egg) into the base of bread maker.
2. Add sugar and salt, then flour. Make a well in the center of flour, add yeast into the well, separating it from the salt.
3. Start bread maker, program = dough.
4. Only knead dough for about 5 min, end the program.
5. Remove dough, shape it into 12 small balls and place at the base of a greased 9″x13″ pan. Let rest for 10 min.
6. While resting the dough, pre-heat oven to 180C.
7. Bake at 180C for 20 min. Serve when cooled.
If you like the shiny effect of my rolls, you can egg wash the dough just before inserting into the oven.